BYU Kennedy Center - China Teachers Program




Saturday, April 28, 2012

History


As a foreigner, I'm interested in history.  I like these reproductions we got from a market.  A lady's bound feet were called "lotus buds," and you can see why.  Also, after binding they could no longer walk easily, so they were sometimes carried.  The practice declined in the 1800's.

UPDATE:  In following up on Tom's comment, here's an excellent report I found on bound feet. Women share their experiences well into the 20th century.

3 comments:

  1. In the movie 'Inn of the Sixth Happiness' Ingrid Bergman plays the role of Gladys Aylward, and English woman in China during the 1930s who served as a 'foot inspector' touring the countryside to enforce the law against foot binding young Chinese girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Tom. I stand corrected. :) We watched the movie a few months ago but I forgot that I.B. was the 'foot inspector.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. And still more. At Free Talk with my students today, one girl said that her grandmother, in her 90's, was still living and her feet are bound.

    ReplyDelete